Monday, December 1, 2008

A scary story I wrote.

The house was abnormally silent and peaceful, like a marble statue in a graveyard. I guess I expected it to be alight and emitting laughter, music, screams, and explosions of beer bottle lids in the background. But the house just sat there, amused and watching the police officers and me edging towards it. The officers’ fingers flexed around their hand-guns on their belts. I took a deep breath and started looking into the silent windows. I cupped my hands around my eyes as my eyes tried to focus, trying to block out the light from the nearly full moon illuminating the world.
I could just faintly make out the scene inside. It looked the same as it was 3 hours ago.
Every room, from what little I could see, looked the same from when I had last seen it.
I glanced at the officer closest to me and he caught my eye and nodded slightly.
I turned around and tiptoed to the front door that was locked.
Fortunately, I had remembered my hair pin on the way here. I held the mini-flashlight between my teeth as I slid the small metal into the particular keyhole. With ease, the door-knob clicked and I swung the door opened. I smiled before I got to my feet and started inside.
The police came in after me moments later, and together we began to search the house. As I rounded the corner in the hallway- the only light coming from my small flashlight- I tried to explain to myself why I didn’t have the courage to just flip on the light switch. My question was answered seconds later as a rush of cold air wrapped around me, and I suddenly got the impression that I was being watched.

No comments: